Pets or no pets, that is the question….or at least its one of them at a vacation rental.
My family is allergic to cats, so those darlings are almost always not allowed. However, we do have a dog, so we really had to consider whether or not we would allow other folks to bring their dogs too. We did ultimately decide to be a pet friendly rental, but there are a few strict guidelines we enforce.
- Dogs must be on flea preventative. Ours came home with sand fleas once and was miserable. I let everyone know about that experience.
- Dogs must be good citizens – not aggressive or constant barkers. Obviously must be house trained.
- Dogs should be crated when left alone and should not be left on the decks for long periods of time. We don’t want the neighbors complaining about noise.
- Owners must pick up after pets.
- Dogs are not allowed on furniture.
I don’t charge a pet fee or an additional damage deposit, however, I let all the guests know that if there is damage or exceptional cleaning needed, some of the damage deposit will be withheld. I do add a pet addendum explaining this to the rental contract and the owners send it back to me signed.
There is room for exceptions. Once we were asked to allow a guinea pig, so we did. It was in a cage, not loose 🙂